City Of Salem Dent County Chamber Of Commerce Business Directory
Google Search
Welcome to Salem, Missouri

About Salem Officials, Committees, Departments Economic Development Police Parks and Recreation Services      Permits and Licenses      Facilities      Utilities Reports

City Of SalemUtilities

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I get water and electric turned on during the weekend?
No. We no longer do any new service connections after hours or on weekends.

2. Can I get my water or electric turned off during the weekend:
No, these require one day’s notice. If you contact our office on Friday, the utilities will not be disconnected until the following Monday.

Location, Phone Numbers, Hours Residential Accounts Commercial Accounts Transfers/Disconnects Payments Options Customer Application Frequently Asked Questions Proposed Rates Form

3. How many days do I have to pay my utility bill?
Your utility bill is due 20 days from the billing date. You receive a 1 % discount on your electric portion of your bill if it is paid in 10 days. If your bill is not paid within the 10-day grace period, you will not receive the discount. Utilities bills must be paid by the 27th of each month.

4. Are there penalties for not paying your bill in 20 days?
Yes, a 10% penalty is applied to all bills (electric, water and sewer) if not paid in 20 days.

5. When are past due notices sent out?
No reminders are mailed. On the 28th of each month, delinquent accounts are turned off.

6. What are the fees for disconnect?
The following reconnect fees apply if a customer’s delinquent account is on the cut off list.
Residential - $25.00
Commercial non-demand - $25.00
Commercial Demand - $100.00 electric and $25.00 water

7. What should I do if I think my utility bill is too high?
Contact the Utility Department in the City Administration Building at 573-729-4117. If the water bill is significantly higher than the average, the customer service representative will send a check for leak to the Water Department. If there is a question about electric usage, the meter can be reread.

8. Whom should I contact in an emergency for utilities at night or on weekend?
You may call the Police Department in an emergency (waterline break, etc) 573-729-4242. Service fees will apply.



Special thanks to The Salem News for the generous use of many of the photos in this website.

City Of Salem | Dent County | Chamber Of Commerce | Business Directory
Plan Your Vacation | Grow Your Business | Our Community | Area Maps | Calendar