In 1932, John Fleming and L. S. Howald bought out the store which had been known as Peck Hardware. Until 1946, it was called Fleming and Howald. Mr. Howald sold out his interest and the store became Fleming Hardware. Later the name was changed to Fleming Variety. In 1954 a fire devastated the business and the store relocated to the North Main Street where the present day Midway Cafe is located.They were at this location almost two years before buying Downing's 5 & 10 Cents Store, which is its present location.
A spiral bound book containing the details and photos of the complete Salem Historical Walking Tour is available for purchase from the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Proceeds support the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane...Click Here To Order