Current home of Victor Heating and Cooling
301 E. Fourth Street (Block 3 of East Salem)

On this site once stood the Day and Night Garage.  The building used to be the location of the Key and Pace Blacksmith Shop.  Frank Key and John “App” Pace formed Key and Pace Blacksmith Company around 1906.  Key and Pace was originally located on the west side of the creek where the Ely Walker Factory was located.  It then moved to the east side of the creek and remained there until 1917.  Then Key and Pace eventually moved to where the City of Salem Administrative offices parking lot is today (2010).

A.J. Pace had a building erected at 301 E. Fourth in 1924 for Ed Sparks and Ray Crandell to use for their business.  Different owners and/or partners in business at this location include: William Elayer, Fred Dulworth, “Sant” Ball, Morgan Ball and Jesse Park.  Various lines of cars were sold here including the Buick, Star Car and the Terraplane Car.  The Star Car was assembled by Durant Motors in the years 1922 thru 1928.  The Star Car was intended as a competitor to the Ford Model T.  It’s four and six cylinder engines were made by Continental Motors.  Carl Conaway took over the location in 1935 and sold the Terraplane line of cars.  Those working for Carl Conaway were Floyd Hubbard, Albert Smitty and Cecil Bowers. 

back_pointer-over next_pointer-over

Get The Book!
A spiral bound book containing the details and photos of the complete Salem Historical Walking Tour is available for purchase from the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Proceeds support the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane...Click Here To Order.
#Keep Current.
Sign Up for Notifications